Yay the day finally came! After much waiting and anticipation, on Thursday 3 Feb 2011 my husband got to put on his first prosthetic leg and walk in it for a bit. Considering he had not walked since 26 Sept. 2010, it was very exciting. We have been waitiing for his calf muscle to get smaller in order to fit into the socket. I mean in my opinion they would just make a socket to fit each individual's leg but apparently that is not how it works. It has to be in a certain shape I guess. Anywho, it took some work to get his leg into it still but after a bit of work we got it in. According to his prosthesis guy and his physical therapist he did really well for his first time. And keep in mind his right leg is still broken with the ex-fix on it. I was very proud of him as I stood there and watched. Earlier this week he bet me I would cry, I bet him I wouldn't. I don't know if it is because of this bet, or the fact I was playing tough cookie at the moment, but I didn't cry. I do actually think it is just because I was so focused on taking pictures and video taping it as it happened to even think about my emotions at that point in time. Or maybe it is simply the fact that I have learned to grow a bit of a thicker skin since this whole thing happened. I did tear up though when I got to thinking about it (I quickly looked up at the ceiling to hold them in though, just a trick of mine). Someone asked me if it was weird to see him walking again. And I am not sure if "weird" is the word for it, but it definitely was something else. The last time I had seen my husband walking was on 5 August 2010 as he walked away from me in the gym that day. I remember watching him and examining every inch of him as he walked away thinking to myself "you better get a good look....just in case. Take it in right now...just in case." And I suppose it was a good thing I did. But I try not to think of that, because that does make me sad and quite a bit emotional. Insetad I think of how awesome it is to see him walk. And how proud of him I am every single day. The road up until now has definitely not been easy. It has been stressful and emotionally draining, but we have made it this far. I am excitied for this step and can't wait until he gets more practice walking in it and can finally have his leg for good!
♥ We have to acknowledge the progress we made, but understand that we still have a long way to go. That things are better, but still not good enough. ♥

I love it! I'm so proud of both of you! Keep working hard, and keep loving each other!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Acasha. Miss you!
ReplyDelete