Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Deployment Begins...

  A year in Afghanistan is not my favorite thing.  It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.  On his last day we went to The Garden of the Gods and enjoyed looking at all the neat rock formations.   I swore that one rock looked like two hands, palms together, like they were praying.  He laughed because apparently my imagination is so fabulous since just a few weeks ago in Mexico I swore I could see Scooby Do's head in a rock formation!

That night we went to the Texas Roadhouse for his last meal, along with my mom and Jamie (his first line supervisor/friend).  I must say that my steak medallions and loaded mashed potatoes were yummy :)

Then it was off for a long night of waiting to tell him good-bye.  I felt like I was in a fog all night, constantly holding back tears every time I felt them coming on.  I was pretty proud of myself for how well I held it together.  It wasn't until the guy came up and announced "Five minutes and then you need to say your final good-byes" that I began to cry uncontrollably.  It was the worst feeling in the world knowing that as I held him it would be the last time for a long time.


And here is a poem I love that fits this time in my life perfectly:

I hate to watch
Each time you leave
And I hide from you
How much I grieve

I know it’s your duty
And you will go
But once you are gone
I will miss you so

I know you’ll come home
As soon as you can
But right now you’ll deploy
Like an honorable man

So I’ll keep things together
Till you can come back
But, this is where you belong
Not somewhere in Afghanistan

Yet, I do understand
Why you risk you’re life
For that’s a Soldier’s job
And I’m a Soldier’s wife.

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine actually saying goodbye! You are such a strong person and I admire you for that! I'm always here for you, in fact I'm pretty sure you will be sick of me! Love you, acasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Acasha. And no I could never get sick of you! You will be the one who gets sick of me ;) Glad we are working together again!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on my posts are always welcomed and appreciated!!!