So today the husband and I had a few things to do over at the hospital. In the midst of it all we stopped at the coffee stand for a little afternoon pick me up. While I was in the process of ordering and waiting on our drinks, I looked over to notice an elderly man talking to Chris. Turns out it was an old WWII veteran. For the most part by the time I got over there it seemed to me he was talking a whole lot about nothing in particular. However, the main focus of his conversation kept going back to his cane. After making both my husband and I hold it, he went on to explain how it was made from a bull's penis. Hearing a man in his 80s-90s talk in depth about a wrickedy old cane made out of animal genitals is rather interesting I must say. I couldn't help but laugh at this random and awkward conversation. And he kept insisting we look him up, since he has been in films about WWII. And most importantly that my husband buy one of these bull canes. Ahh only at BAMC....only in Texas!
On another note, we are supposed to be flying home next week for about 8 days. Can we say E-X-C-I-T-E-D much!!! I absolutely can't wait to go home to CO for a bit and get out of this little "BAMC Bubble" we are stuck in. This place gets old real fast. It makes you feel like you are slowly losing your mind, and going insane. Well at least that is how it makes me feel. The other day we had an appointment with the behavioral health guy, where we talked about feelings and moods, etc. Out of nowhere he turned to me and flat out asked "how do you feel about your husband being an amputie?" I was taken aback kind of, and just stared and said "Uhhhh, I don't know..." This is the first time since all this occured that question has been asked. It is blunt and rather in your face. How do you answer something like that? And better yet, how do I feel about it? After a minute of trying to spit out some kind of answer, I felt my face get hot and I started crying. I mean how am I supposed to feel?! How would anyone feel....crummy! I said that it was hard, but I typically don't think about it because when I do I end up crying. I said that this is just what our life is now, and so I take it a day at a time and roll with the punches. This is exactly how I feel about it. But I also felt like saying "Well it freaking sucks! I am pissed at the world some days. I hate the Taliban! I hate Afghanistan! And some days I want to scream at the top of my lungs to the world." I have said it before and I will say it again, no one is trained for something like this to happen. Sure, you know it's a possibilty. You know it could happen. You hear about it, read about it, and if you're the soldier you probably have seen it. But when it actually happens to you...yeah that's a different chapter in a different book. One that you have never ventured in before. So for those wondering that same question, that's how I feel. And if you think you may handle the situation differently or feel differently I want to say this. You have no idea what it's like until you go through it first hand.
I am off my soap box for the day though :) Just a few things to get off my chest. But on a lighter note, countdown to home has begun and I can't wait.
♥ Where we love is home. Home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts. ♥
That is sooo awesome. Chris definitely needs one of those!
ReplyDelete