"My darling,
It's late at night, and as I sit at my desk, the house is silent except for the ticking of the grandfather clock. You're asleep upstairs, and though I long for the warmth of your body against my own, something compels me to write this letter, even though I'm not exactly sure where to begin....
....Some things, after all, have never changed. In the mornings, for instance, my first thoughts after waking are -- and always have been -- of you. Often, I'll simply lie on my side and watch you, I see your hair spread across the pillow, one arm above your head, the gentle rise and fall of your chest..... Throughout our marriage, you've been my dream, and I'll never forget how lucky I've felt ever since the first day we walked together in the rain....
....Even at work, I frequently find myself glancing at the clock and wondering what you are doing at that exact moment.....I guess what I am trying to say is that you are there, in everything I am, in everything I've ever done, and looking back I know that I should have told you how much you've always meant to me.
I'm sorry for that, just as I'm sorry for all the ways I've let you down. I wish I could undo the past, but we both know that's impossible. Yet I've come to believe that while the past is unchangeable, our perceptions of it are malleable....
....I once made a vow to you....and as your husband of thirty years, it's time I finally made another. From this point on, I will become the man I always should have been. I'll become a more romantic husband, and make the most of the years we have left together. And in each precious moment, my hope is that I'll do or say something that lets you know that I could never have cherished another as much as I've always cherished you."
I was so moved by this, as with many other things throughout the book. The way he expresses his love and admiration for his wife is absolutely beautiful. I feel like in life so many times we as people get so busy and so caught up with the hustle and bustle that we forget to stop, see the beauty in the small things, and acknowledge those things. This book was a great read and I can't wait to start my next Nicholas Sparks book! I would love if this one gets made into a movie as well!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments on my posts are always welcomed and appreciated!!!