Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Military Ball

Last week the hubby came in town for our unit's welcome home ball.  It was so nice to get to go and see everyone.  especially since many it was the first time he had seen since being injured, and many others who will be PCSing soon and going separate ways.  It was a nice ball, we had over 900 people there!  It was packed.  One of the best parts of the evening was my husband being presented his Bronze Star in front of me and all his men.  Right before they presented the wounded warriors their awards, two of our Gold Star family members were there and were recognized.  It was so emotional and the entire time I tried looking up at the ceiling so tears would not come out.  So by the time they got to calling my husband up for his award I couldn't help but break into tears.  Just so many emotions filled me at that moment.  I even made one of the guys at our table cry! He looked at me and said "Thanks Angela, you made me shed one tear".  I can say, I am so thankful to have him there being awarded rather then being one of the Gold Star families.  My heart goes out to them always!  Overall, it was a great night and I will always remember it.  no matter where we all end up, this is the unit my husband was with for his first 4 years of service, and the friendships we have made with some of these people will last forever.  I am proud to have been a part of this unit!

The Bronze Star is awarded for bravery, acts if merit, or meritorious service.  It is the 4th highest combat award, and the 9th highest overall military award.  He was noted for the demeanor he maintained after being injured, which helped maintain his soldiers and allow first responders to act efficiently.  Also noted were his tactical competency, courage, both physical and mental toughness, and his dedication to duty (among other things)  I AM VERY PROUD OF HIM and believe that this award was much deserved:


A few pics from the ball:



On a side note, yesterday marked the one year anniversary that we lost a friend.  He gave the ultimate sacrifice and was gone at an age far too young.  Millet, I just want you to know that you meant a lot to the guys you served with.  I know the love they feel for you and how much you are missed.  I know you continue to shine down and watch over everyone, and I just want to thank you again for answering the call and laying your life on the line.  You are appreciated and will never be forgotten.

♥ It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on my posts are always welcomed and appreciated!!!